Often called the “third eye,” the sixth chakra is located right above your eyebrows. Seeing the world through our third eye allows us to experience a sixth sense, a way of sensing the energies of the thoughts and feeling of those people in our life. In most cases, young children have wide open sixth chakras. Over time, their parents and society in general, may invalidate these sixth sense experiences, causing a fog of uncertainty to descend over this energy center. But what can be shut can also be opened!
I believe that when we close our eyes and imagine or visualize we’re actually using our inner sight, our clairvoyance. We are actually activating our sixth chakra. When you utilize your imagination in the following exercise you’re not creating a fairy-tale, made-up experience. As you picture your grounding cord or imagine all your own energies zooming back into a Golden Sun, you are creating the experience of being grounded to the earth with your scattered energies flowing into your body on the energetic level. This is actually happening, we just can’t see it with our physical eyes. As we sit in meditation and let go of the need to see with our physical eyes, we tune in to our inner world of knowingness, our Spirit, our connection to the Divine.
One of the first steps in any meditation is getting yourself centered and present. Being centered means to be in present time, right here, right now; you’re not thinking of what happened in the past or about tomorrow’s to-do list. When you’re scattered, you’re less potent and unable to bring your full potential to the task at hand. So centering becomes a practice of mindfulness, being fully present, with all your thoughts and feelings in one place, a place of stillness.
This place of stillness is the home of our Spirit. Some call it the Seat of the Soul. It is located between our ears, behind our eyes, in the center of our head. It is the middle of our sixth chakra, our seat of intuition.
Exercise: Opening Your Sixth Chakra
- Sit in a comfortable chair with your feet flat on the floor. Close your eyes and breathe – in and out, in and out. Focus on relaxing your body and being fully present. Allow thoughts of future events and past conversations to melt away. Breathe in and ground to the center of the earth. Breathe out and sink a little bit deeper into your chair. Breathe in and imagine bringing all of your focus to the center of your head. Between your ears, behind your eyes, is the sixth chakra, the seat of your clairvoyance. With each inhale bring more of your energy into the center of your head. With each exhale feel yourself sink a little deeper in your chair as your grounding cord connects you to Mother Earth.
- Now, imagine a soap bubble out in front of your closed eyes. Ask this soap bubble to fill in with the colors representing YOU, right now, at this particular moment. Imagine the bubble filled with color. If you can’t see it clearly, don’t worry, just imagine what it would be like, if you could see it. That’s the key to developing your psychic abilities; at the beginning, just relax and allow your imagination to flow. At the beginning it might be more a sense of knowing. Relax and just go with it.
- Now “read” the bubble. What do those colors mean to you? Are they flowing around or are they static? Are they “angry” colors, or “calm” colors? Each person interprets the colors in a different way. There is no right or wrong answer; just your answer for YOU. That’s it.
- Now interpret what you see. If you see a color that looks angry, check to see if you have some angry thoughts running through your head – even in the back of your head. If you see or feel a color that looks like joy, then think about whether you are feeling some joy. If you sense frustration or effort, then ask for that energy to show up in your bubble as a certain color. Oftentimes when I ask a question like that I’ll see or sense a certain area of the soap bubble lighting up. It’s almost like the bubble is saying, “Hey, check it out over here! Here’s the information you asked to see.”
- Just look and see and imagine. Have some fun and try to relax. Just ask your intuition to show you what you need to know. That’s it.
- When you are ready, open your eyes and come out of meditation.
Each person sees colors differently. So go within and look at your soap bubble and begin to understand your world. (You’re doing it! You really just experienced being psychic!)