Living in Joy is an art. It’s not something you’re given; it’s something that develops within you. It’s a wellspring of ease and tranquility that bubbles up from the innermost parts of your body and soul, bursting forth with feelings of contentedness and inner peace. When we steep ourselves in joy, we realize that the answers to our innermost desires are not found in striving or craving after things. Instead, our happiness develops from a deep sense of gratitude for who we are right here, right now.
So how do we get to this place of inner peace and gratitude? I believe that living every day in joy occurs as we become fully present in the here and now. We’re centered and grounded and consciously present in our lives. We are mindfully aware of the day to day happenings, full of gratitude for even the hiccups of life. We’ve talked about it before –this space of havingness – being content with our current life, with all its ups and downs while at the same time desiring more.
The spiritual practice of meditation helps us connect into this self-contentedness. We learn to meditate from our spiritual sanctuary, the center of our head, and allow the stillness and peace to envelop us. As we come out of meditation and re-enter our day, we do so from a place of being grounded to the earth and focused in the here and now.
I believe centering and grounding are the cornerstones of living a life of inner peace and contentedness. In the following short, guided meditation we will work to center, ground and surround ourselves with the energy of joy.
Exercise: Centered and Grounded
- Start your meditation with your eyes closed and your feet flat on the floor.
- As you inhale, bring all of your awareness to that space behind your eyes, the center of your head. This is your personal space, a place of stillness and peace. If you feel that your to-do list or thoughts of past conversations are intruding, just ask those energies to leave. Be alone, just you, as Spirit, residing in a cocoon of comfort and peace.
- Now, as you exhale, ground to the earth. Imagine a hollow tube of energy attached to your hips and falling to the center of the earth. This is your grounding cord. Through the force of gravity, this tube of energy will carry all unwanted tensions out of your body. Feel yourself relax a little bit more as the grounding cord begins to work. Feel your shoulders relax, and your jaw unclench as your body begins to feel calm and focused.
- Breathe in and center, breathe out and ground.
- Breathe in and center breathe out and ground.
- Some people imagine the center of the head as their favorite spot in nature. You might want to sit in a meadow of spring flowers, or next to a waterfall of fanciful colors. Other people visualize a cozy, soft nest of pillows and blankets. You get to choose. Make the space your own.
- Just sit and breathe. That is all. Count each breath, one on the inhale, two on the exhale. Over and over.
- If a stray thought comes along, which it will, just return to the breath. You don’t need to allow the thought to spin into a story, just watch it drift on by as you continue to count your breaths.
- If you lose track of your count – no worries – just start over and count again. One. Two. Three.
- Feel your thoughts drifting and your body relaxing more and more. Just be. That is all. Feel supported by your grounding cord and aware that you as a Spirit are in the center of your head, fully present and aware. Your body is relaxed but your mind is counting breaths. In and out, one and two.
- Now imagine a Golden Sun above your head. Fill this Sun with the energies of peace, tranquility and joy. Ask that Golden Sun to bring those energies into perfect alignment with your body and Spirit.
- Then, ask for that Golden Sun energy to spill out, entering the top of your head and cascading throughout your body. Feel your arms tingle, your toes come alive, as all of that peace and happiness energy flows throughout your body and aura. Keep filling up with this energy of serenity until you are satisfied.
- Before you come out of meditation, intend for your energy, your conscious awareness, to remain anchored in your body for the rest of the day.
- Now, open your eyes. Look around the room. With all of your energy in your body, not scattered in the past or the future, you are a more potent being. How do you feel?
When you are fully present in your life, you are mindfully aware of your thoughts, feelings, and emotions. In this state of awareness, you are in the current moment, experiencing your life. This is the first step in finding that sweet spot of inner tranquility and contentedness; living life on purpose, full of happiness and joy.
Thanks for being a part of this journey of discovery – finding ways to live our lives on purpose and in a meaningful way.
If this post resonated with you, please share it on your favorite social networks. Every share, like or tweet helps me reach more people who crave support in being as kind to themselves as they are to others. So glad you’re here!