We are constantly broadcasting our thoughts and feelings into the world. Our thoughts travel outward and may embed in the aura of another person, affecting them in either a positive or negative way. Likewise, the energy, thoughts, feelings, judgments, and criticisms of another person can travel and have an effect on our aura.
In fact, we are bombarded daily with other people’s thoughts and feelings of what they think we should do or who they think we should be. This is called foreign energy. Foreign energy is not “bad”—it is just different (foreign) from our energy.
With all these thoughts and feelings swirling around in our aura, some ours, some our neighbor’s, it can become very difficult to differentiate our hopes, wishes, and dreams from those around us.
Most of our inner critic’s voice is made up of this foreign energy—other people’s “shoulds” of how they think we should behave.
The good news is that we can clean up and remove the foreign energies that have attached to our aura, thereby allowing us to hear more of our true wisdom and internal truths. Cleaning our aura may sound a little funny, yet we brush our teeth every day, removing the foreign particles (food and bacteria) and leaving behind a fresh, clean mouth. The same is true of our aura. Cleaning the aura will remove foreign energy, allowing our unique thoughts and feelings to shine.
We often clean our aura without even realizing it. Maybe you’ve walked away from a particularly offensive conversation by shaking out both hands or shrugging your shoulders to remove the “icky” after-effects of your conversation. On the other hand, you might have felt like rinsing off in the shower or like shaking your body, much like a wet dog coming out of the river. Either way, you were unconsciously removing foreign energy from your aura. Of course, not all encounters with foreign energy are as dramatic. Simply brushing the energy off your arms, legs, head, and back as if you were removing a layer of dust from your skin might be sufficient. Or, you might expel foreign energy from your body by inhaling deeply and then exhaling through your mouth with force.
These methods work well if you’re consciously aware of picking up energies from others and choose to expel the energy right away. However, we’re not always consciously aware of exchanging energies with people in our environment. In this case, it might be helpful to use a tool that, once activated, will continue to work the entire day keeping your energy system free of other people’s thoughts and feelings.
This tool, called a grounding cord, is an energy cable that securely connects you to the center of the earth. Through the force of gravity, it efficiently drains any energy from your body and your aura that is not your own.
A grounding cord can be visualized as any object. A strong rope with an anchor on the end, a hollow beam of light, or a stretch of silk are all visuals that I use at varying times, depending upon my mood.
The most important thing to remember is that this tube of energy will automatically carry foreign energy out of your body depositing it deep within the earth’s core. Attaching your aura, as well as your body, to this grounding cord, allows your full energetic system to be connected to the earth.
Your aura surrounds your body and extends about eighteen inches out in all directions, including below your feet. When I first started grounding, I found it a little unusual to think about my aura extending below the floor. I had to step out of my three-dimensional view of things and remember that energy is like air, it exists whether I can see it or not.
As I let my mind accept this idea, without trying to analyze it, I could then picture this area below my feet where my grounding cord and aura meet. In fact, as I set the intent for the two to merge, I could “feel” them fusing together, forming an air tight seal. The following exercise may help to cement this visual in place.
Exercise: Releasing Foreign Energy through Your Grounding Cord
- Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor, and your eyes closed. Take a couple of deep breaths and imagine a wide, hollow tube of energy out in front of your closed eyes. Don’t worry if you can’t “see” the grounding cord just yet. Relax into the exercise and imagine what it would look like if you could see it. Now imagine attaching the grounding cord to your body, where your hips and thighs meet. Feel the weight of it around your body as it draws you deeper into your chair.
- Imagine this thick heavy cord falling from your hips, below your feet, through the floor, and continuing down to the center of the planet. Visualize it falling below the earth’s crust, below the rocks, the minerals, into the soft, molten core of the earth. Imagine hearing the thud as the grounding cord hits the earth’s center, anchoring in place. Feel a slight upward tug as it lets you know that it is completely anchored and secure.
- Picture your aura around your body. See it enveloping your physical body in a cocoon of pulsing, vibrating energy. Imagine this bubble of energy extending above your head and below your feet. Bring your awareness to the area below your feet, where your aura meets your grounding cord. Imagine fusing your aura to your grounding cord, making an airtight seal. Know that any foreign energy in your aura will now be able to drain down your grounding cord.
- Bring your awareness to a place in your body where you feel some tension, perhaps your shoulders or your feet. Now intend for the tension to release. As it does so, imagine the energetic tension dropping out of your body and aura and falling down the grounding cord. Give your body permission to release all that stress, all that foreign energy. You don’t need to store it in your system. Release it all. Imagine all that energy returning to the earth. Watch it dissipate.
- Take a couple of deep breaths. Slowly open your eyes, get up, and walk around. Notice that your grounding cord is still in place, anchoring you to the planet. Some people immediately feel a little bit more focused and centered. Others notice a more pronounced feeling when seated, rather than standing. Know that your grounding cord is attached whether you “feel” it or not.
This grounding cord stays in place the entire day, continually draining out all the gunk in our aura and returning it to the earth. Anytime you begin to feel tired, scattered, anxious, or annoyed, imagine this grounding cord removing those toxic thoughts and feelings from your body and your aura.
If you would like more information on grounding (and other energy tools that help you tame your inner critic), then Join Us! Every five days or so you will receive an email with more information on ways to live a life full of joy, inner contentment and peace. Who wouldn’t want more of that?