Most cultures of the world recognize that we are more than just our physical shell of skin, bones, and teeth. We are thinking, feeling, living, energetic fields of potential. We are our thoughts, feelings, emotions, brain, mind, body, and Spirit all wrapped together in a package of consciousness.
All of this potential, this consciousness, doesn’t just reside in the physical body. Thoughts and feelings, our own, and those we’ve picked up from others, surround us in a personal bubble of vibrational energy called an aura. While this word may be new to some people, we’ve all experienced someone “getting in our face” or standing too close to our back as we wait in line. What we are experiencing is the effect of someone invading our space, our aura.
If you’ve never thought about your aura or experienced this space around your body, this is an exercise designed to help you imagine this space. It’s not something most of us can readily see so it might take a bit of awareness to begin to sense it.
Exercise: Sensing Your Aura
- Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor, eyes closed.
- Our auras surround us – front, back, side to side, even below our feet. Let’s see what we can feel. Breathe and relax as we do this exercise.
- Slowly raise both arms above your head as if you were reaching for the ceiling. Feel this space that extends above your head about as high as your hands can reach.
- Now lower both arms and extend them to each side, much like a windmill.
- Finally, extend one arm behind you and one arm in front of you. Feel into this personal bubble of energy surrounding you.
- Lower both arms to your side as you remain seated with your palms up. Relax, sit and breathe.
- Still with your eyes closed, sense the space behind your knees and down to the tips of your toes. Imagine your aura extending below the floor.
- Most people’s auras are oval in shape. Imagine this egg-shaped space all around your body softly pulsing with energy.
- Now, think a peaceful thought and imagine that peaceful energy filling your aura.
- Is this thought, this impulse of energy just in your brain, or do you feel the peaceful thought throughout your body and aura?
- Now, send that peaceful thought out from you to a friend of yours.
- Imagine that thought of peace leaving your aura and touching your friend.
- Now think an angry thought and imagine your aura filled with that energy. Do you feel the difference?
- We are not going to send this anger to our friend, but you might want to imagine this anger leaving your space and hitting the wall in the room across from you. Feel how you can throw energy?
- We don’t want to leave that anger over there on the wall, so imagine that energy as a big slimy mess of goo and visualize it sliding down the wall and returning to the earth.
- And we don’t want to leave ourselves in this state either, so think a calm thought and imagine your aura, head to toe and all around you, filled with calm, soft energy.
- Sit in your personal energy field filled with this calm energy for a moment longer.
- Know that as you get up and walk around, your aura will move with you.
- When you are ready, open your eyes, get up slowly and walk around the room.
As you begin to understand auras, you come to the awareness that we are responsible for the thoughts and feelings that we send out into the world. What type of energy, what thoughts and feelings, would you like to surround yourself with today? Anger and frustration or compassion and joy?
All month we will be exploring how your thoughts affect the world. If you want more information on auras,chi and traveling thoughts, you might consider having the blog posts delivered right to your in-box. Ways to Keep In Touch.